HHW is any leftover household product that is flammable, corrosive, reactive, or toxic.
Examples: Cleaning liquids, Mercury thermometers/thermostats, Oil, Pesticides, Fluorescent light bulbs, Propane cylinders, Antifreeze and automotive fluids.
How and where to dispose:
***denotes possible fee
- HOW: Dispose of in household trash
- WHERE: Batteries Plus Bulbs (220 Hamilton Crossing Dr./ 865.983.1901)
- Lead acid (Pb) Batteries - Cars, Trucks and Emergency Lighting
- Nickel Cadmium (NiCd) Batteries - Cordless phones, Tools and Two Way Radios
- Nickel Metal Hydride (NiMH) Batteries - Camcorders, Cameras and Bar Code Scanners
- Lithium Ion (Li Ion) & Lithium Polymer (Li Poly) - Cell phones and Laptops
Electronics and Appliances
- HOW: Anything with a plug.
- Alcoa/Maryville/Blount County Landfill (240 Long Powers Rd., Friendsville/ 865.995.2892)***
- B.C.S. Computer Recycling (865.274.9488)
- Best Buy of Knoxville
- E-Cycle of Knoxville (865.382.4530)
- Target (800 Watkins Road., Maryville)
- MP3 players and cellphones
Fluorescent Light Bulbs
- HOW: All sizes, all styles
- Lowe's Home Improvement ( 1098 Hunter's Crossing/ 865.982.2117)
- Batteries Plus Bulbs (220 Hamilton Crossing Dr./ 865.983.1901)
- The Home Depot (943 Foothills Mall Dr./ 865.983.6200)
- Blount County Convenience Center (331 Levi St., Maryville)
Other Light Bulbs
- WHERE: Batteries Plus Bulbs (220 Hamilton Crossing Dr./ 865.983.1901)***
- Plastic Coated and Shatter Shield
- Spot/Flood Lamps
- UV and Germicidal Lamps
- Cold Cathode
- Metal Halide
- High Pressure Sodium
- Mercury Vapor
- HOW: Dry it up. Mix in kitty litter, soil, sand, mortar mix or shredded paper. Leave the lid off to dry
- WHERE: Once dry it can be disposed in you trash.
- WHERE: Blount County Convenience Center (331 Levi St., Maryville)
Medications and Drugs
- HOW: 24 hour Drop Off Box. No questions asked.
- WHERE: Blount County Justice Center (940 E. Lamar Alexander Pkwy., Maryville)
- HOW: Bring to local store with recycling program.
- Office Depot(727 Brenda Dr., Alcoa)
- Target (800 Watkins Rd., Maryville)
- HOW: Transport in closed containers. Free drop-off locations.
- Advanced Auto Retail Stores
- AutoZone Retailers
- City of Alcoa Public Works & Engineering (725 Universal St./ 865.380.4800)
- Firestone Complete Auto Care
- O'Reilly Auto Parts
- Tractor Supply Company (1800 W. Lamar Alexander Pkwy./ 865.681.3336)
- Wal-Mart Tire & Lube Express
Other Hazardous Liquids
- HOW: Dispose of properly.
- WHERE: TDEC Household Hazardous Waste Days